Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Great Frackin' Show

In the DVD and (or so I hear....) bittorrenting era, I see no reason to watch pilots or the first season of shows. If they are successful, I typically Netflix or purchase the DVD sets, and if they aren't, I haven't wasted my time. In the last five years I've watched the pilots of maybe two or three shows.

This can be a double edged sword. I tend to miss out on shows that are cancelled after one season, for example "Freaks and Geeks", as I assume the storyline will have been aborted early and/or the show wasn't very good.

On the other hand, when I do finally get around to watching a hit, I can tear through the episodes with feverish intensity. Such is the case with Battlestar Galactica. I am watching at about a two episodes a day clip (which is somewhat unhealthy...I find myself wondering who at my office might be a Cylon), and I can't get enough.

For those who hate sci-fi, this feels more like a WWII era production than a futuristic one. The settings are somewhat low-tech, and the Cylons are often metaphorically portrayed as fascists, communists, or terrorists, depending upon any given plot-line. Other than the Shield, it's been the best television I've watched this decade.

Not to be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home