Thursday, May 31, 2007

Spamalot

Saw this in Vega$ a few weeks ago. It's a decent show, don't get me wrong, but if you've seen Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail you've seen eighty percent of the "good parts" of the show. I'm not a big fan of breaking the fourth wall in theatre productions, and Spamalot basically hinges its entire premise upon this contrivance. A wink to the audience here and there is acceptable; having it represent the entire denoument is somewhat distracting.

Of c0urse, such shenanigans do set up the show's most rousing musical number: "You can't succeed on Broadway if you don't have any Jews". As I laughed uproariously I made sure that I gave my goyim friends meaningful glares. Can't let them in on the joke, you see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home