Monday, July 23, 2007

The Ice Man Cometh

I want to be frozen. Not now, obviously, but at or near the time of my death.

My thoughts on the afterlife or supernatural gods is....hazy at best. I've received my application from a cryogenics facility, and, god willing (oh, the irony is so delicious) my head will be removed from my body and vitrified while my body is frozen with a combination of liquid helium and then, liquid nitrogen.

What do I think my chances are? Well, I'm not quite dead yet, as Monty Python might say, and hopefully the technology will improve. If I kicked off tomorrow, assuming that the vitrification (which is not the same as freezing) and freezing processes go well, I'd say I'd have a one in a ten million chance of any aspect of my personality being incorporated into a physical form. Sadly, there's a better chance that my brain could be scanned and the data formed into a computer matrix, as we may actually have that technology in the next hundred years or so. But, would that program, even if implanted in a biological or robotic form, be me? I'd say no. I want the real deal reanimated, not a clone! But, I will take life any way I can get.

The hurdles are monumental. The chemicals that make brain vitrification possible are hazardous. While vitrification preserves soft tissue memory structures, we don't know how to reverse the process. Future generations may find it easier to just copy my memories and paste them into a new format rather than try to revive the original me.

Well, any chance is better than none. And religion has never been my style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home